Tuesday, September 6, 2011

21st Century China: Cinema


I would say that I am an "on and off" Chinese movie afficionado. For the most part I particulary do not watch Chinese movies unless they are advertised and marketed smartly convincing me that they are worth watching.  A few I have seen are of course are the vintage Jackie Chan movies and a few more Chinese martial arts movie when I was still living in the Philippines as a teen into my 20's. I also watched one Chinese American produced movie and of course an American movie produced and directed by Sir Run Run Shaw, the famous Shanghai born internationally reknowned filmmaker.

But since the early 90's Chinese cinema has been showing better quality movies which is not about martial arts at all, although I should say that their martial arts movies that are fictionally or sometimes historically based on old China are in my opinion, are the best ones...especially if the main actors are China's big stars. In general I like Chinese action movies.

The report coming from CRIenglish.com on January 2011says:
"The year 2010 saw China's filmmaking industry continue to flourish. The country made about 500 films in 2010, ranking only after Bollywood and Hollywood in terms of annual film output. China's 2010 box office revenue reached a historical high at 10 billion yuan (about US$1.5 billion), rising 61 percent from the year before. That has prompted media prediction that China would overtake Japan, the current second largest film market, by 2015."

Well that says it all, maybe in the near future we will be able to use the word Chinawood or Chiwood?

Photo Credit: Poster of Wong Kar Wai's film "The Grandmasters"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...