Saturday, September 10, 2011

Where Were You on Sept. 11th, 2001?

Where were you on Sept. 11th, 2001? Needless to say most of you know what happened on this very sad day in the history of the US. Allow me to share what my day was on 9/11/01.

It was a beautiful sunny Tuesday morning and just like any ordinary working day, I woke up about 7AM and as usual got ready with my boring morning rituals, went out my apartment on my way to work. I am coming from Queens, NY on my way to Manhattan. I took the R subway train and got off at 23rd St. station at 5th Ave. On my way up from the subway I see the public standing and their gaze nailed at the two burning towers in front of them. The World Trade Center aka the Twin Towers were burning in front of me. I was shocked and couldn't believe how come the two buildings were burning at the same time, must be electrical or human accident that caused it, but deep in my gut I knew that something was wrong...very wrong.

I still went on walking four more blocks to work, as soon as I got to the office I asked my co-workers what really happened with the Twin Towers, and they told me that it was a terrorist attack by which the terrorists used two planes to attack each of the two buildings. I felt sadness and anger and of being helpless. The collapse of the two towers really was the darkest, when you know that no one can be saved in the buildings and that you instantly know that the first responders were killed.

I ended up staying in the office until 6PM when the local news announced that all tunnels and subways were opened again after being shut for hours. With a heavy and sad heart I went home reflecting and visualizing how the people inside the burning towers were feeling at the height of this crazy man-made disaster. And as the day ended and in the weeks and even months to come I always say a prayer for those who perished and for their families.

Where were you on Sept. 11th, 2001?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...