Saturday, February 6, 2010

Solemn: Buddha Statue


One of the most serene sculptures in the world is the Buddha. The Buddha evokes peace and grace and if you are observant of the statue, you will notice the delicate face and hands of the Buddha and the ripples of the fabric he wears. The Buddha's statue conveys meaning such if the the hands are resting in the lap this represents meditation, if the hands are crossing over the chest they are a symbol of Dharma or a state of "being" and in the earliest Buddha statues, the figure has both hands raised with the ring finger on the left hand touching the thumb and the index finger on the right hand is touching the thumb to make a circle with the three other fingers held aright whose meaning is unknown. There are many different materials a sculptor can use to create this beautiful statue such as wood, bronze, brass and even gold or ceramic. The ones we see today are made from marble, wood carving and jade.

I am not a big fan of the Buddha sculpture but lately when I started this blog and when I wrote blogs about India, that opened my mind how beautiful Asian art is. The other issue that made me appreciate the Buddha statue was when I saw this news a few years ago about the colossal Buddha sculpture in Afghanistan which by the way is carved out from the side of a mountain thousands of years ago and sadly was blown by dynamite by the Taliban (since they do not believe in representational art), I cannot help but realize that the image of Buddha is in fact truly an authentic work of art!

Talking about interior design for a bit I also observe that people of taste use the Buddha to accent their living rooms or bedrooms. The Buddha statue is a great accessory to your interior if you opt for an Asian feel. Personally, I also think that you can throw-in a golden antique Buddha statue in a living room with a highly colonial interior or a baroque interior because it will certainly standout. Trust me it will be a conversational piece. As for me I am saving and working on a budget to buy a standing Buddha carved out of wood which I found in Chinatown. I really know that the approximately three-foot tall Buddha would add a great touch in my tiny apartment's living room. What about you? Why don't you check out some Buddha statues in your area or go to Chinatown or perhaps if you like the super expensive large Buddhas made out of gold encrusted with jade then head out to a reputable antique store or better yet fly to Cambodia, Thailand or Myanmar to get one. Ending this blog, I think the Buddha is both a symbol of the spiritual and the face of style.

Photo Credit: Buddha Teaching the Law
Photographer: Murnis in Bali
Photo Link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/95231269@N00/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...